Sunday, August 12, 2012

Weekends while they're here

I am savoring every weekend I have in the next couple of months because it won't be long before I'm working rotating weekends. =( oh well, it's a small sacrifice for a great job. 

This weekend I went to the beach with my friend Roger. Other than the humidity, it was an excellent beach day. (what day at the beach isn't right?) I don't think either of us planned on really going in the water but once we stepped out on the sand and experienced the heat... the water was looking pretty refreshing. 

Between the heat and Roger, I was convinced to take a dip. The surf was really rough and nearly violent at times. I was worried we were both going to get sucked out forever more. Obviously neither happened but I did end up with a bloody knee. War wound. :)


Although this picture depicts a nearly empty beach, it was definitely not. There were people ALL over the place. We found a nice relatively empty spot though. For some reason all the people were congregating near the rotting kelp that had washed up on shore. Dumb!


We sat on the beach near this wall that was painted to depict that very beach. Those with excellent eyesight can spot the J.K. Rowling/Harry Potter quote on the right side. :) As Roger pointed out, any other beach in SoCal would have this wall tagged with graffiti. This is very pleasant alternative.

For some reason I didn't take any pictures of us. Oh well, food is prettier. We walked down the beach for a while getting soaked and covered in sand (yuck!) before walking around town looking for a place to eat. If museums and art galleries served meals we would have had 300 choices. Instead... we saw taco bell and a French Cafe that we had eaten at last time. Hmmm... 

So we headed out to find a place somewhere in normal-ville where people eat at restaurants. We ended up at BJ's sports grill and split two pizzas. I got something with basil (of course) and artichoke hearts. Roger got one called  a Great White (can't remember what was on it)


After we got our food and started eating I realized 2 things I had forgotten: to take pictures and... my camera in the car. Roger lent me his phone so kudos to him for these. I had taken 2-3 bites and as the picture below illustrates, Roger had already consumed 1/4. :) 


I don't normally order anything but water but this root beer sounded too good to pass up and it definitely was! Didn't try Roger's strawberry lemonade but according to him it's a good one. 


After dropping Roger off back at his place I ended up at my sister's for a spontaneous visit. I discovered that day how close she and Roger live. So cool!

Yay for sister time :)

What a great Saturday!

Today we had tri-tip, grilled zucchini, corn on the cob, homemade sourdough rolls and mashed potatoes a la Blake. Oh and  friends/family to share it all with. 


I really liked how the zucchini came out this time I think I'm honing in on the perfect grilling technique.


Well, tomorrow is another work day which means another day full of learning. I'm training with a new person so there will be a heavier work load. I'm going to see if I can completely avoid getting lost tomorrow ;-)

Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Hello below!