Saturday, August 17, 2013

Making Do

Hello all! 

I know (once again) it's been a while since I've blogged but trust me... there's been a lot going on! :)

I'm officially residing in Sacramento now, weird huh? It has been an adjustment for sure and I'm sure it will continue to be. Mom and Dad helped me move up here which I am ever so grateful for! I had a couple of weeks off after I finished at Loma Linda and they filled up so fast. I had a few dear dear friends to saw farewell to and a few small trips planned as well. 

First I spent a couple of days in Palm Springs with Mom which was excellent! Then my sister Kim and my nephews and I took a small roadtrip to my niece's birthday with a luxurious and fun one night stay in Lompoc. :)


One excited birthday girl and this is why....


 Cupcakes!
 
 We noshed on some excellent pizza, a fresh green salad and fresh summer fruit!


After the party weekend I had to head straight home to start the packing process. What a daunting task, let me tell you! After a couple of days I just starting packing stuff like a mad woman. My room was an absolute disaster but as the boxes got sealed and labeled Dad and Joe started loading them into one of the 2 cars that were heading North.

Fast forward to Friday and we were on our way. I wrote a little more about the move on the blog I'm co-authoring with fellow interns and good friends if you care to read the nitty gritty.

Now, I'm semi-settled in Sacramento and attempting to survive on my own. Since I'll be out of work and paying for tuition my meals may become very repetitive (oh wait they already have!) and look a whole lot like top ramen because it actually is. haha
I did some grocery shopping as soon as possible and tried to stock the fridge with the stuff I thought I could and would use up and not waste. That meant long lasting fruits and veggies, eggs, and various other staples. 
 The following meals resulted.

Ok, I didn't make In-N-Out but we ate it because... well because it's In-N-Out and it's pretty much awesome wherever you are. :)


Pasta, sauteed veggies and an egg. (by the way, I didn't have olive oil at this point which made for some disappointing pasta)


This loaf of artisan bread from Costco that you'll see I've been using just about every meal in some way.


Leftovers. 


Chicken that I made up a marinade for and grilled with some steamed veggies. (starting to seem some serious repeats?)


Quick scrambled egg breakfast with toast and a grapefruit quarter.


Our director took us out to lunch on our last day of orientation to a restaurant called "Noodles and Co." which was so nice of her and it was very tasty. I ordered a spicy Indonesian dish with chicken, sprouts, veggies, cilantro and lime.


More leftovers made into something else. I took the rest of the grilled chicken from the night before and made a pretty tasty salad if I do say so myself.


Simple breakfasts are best for me. Yogurt, granola, a sprinkle of chia seeds that I've had forever and need to use, and a banana on the side. 


I'm trying to decide how to divvy up the blogging info between this one and the Three Pea Stew. What I would like to do it keep all of my foodie stuff here and I'll leave the internship stuff for the other one. Who am I kidding... after everything I found out this week, I'm going to be doing good to have time to sleep and shower. I really am in for an intense year. I don't know how I'm going to do it but the interns from this last year are still alive and even smiling so apparently it's possible. 

I'm ever so grateful that I have some awesome people encouraging me and supporting me. I can't tell you how much it means to know that you exist and are cheering me on. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cassie! Hope all is well, and from the sounds of this blog, it sounds like your settling in pretty well. Have the grandest time in Sac :)

    -Lyn

    ReplyDelete

Say Hello below!