Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Scone Cold ... Late

Here is how my morning was planned as of last night

Alarm: 3:00, 3:30 and 3:45 (just in case)
Departure Window: 4:00-4:15 am
Arrival: 4:45
Clock in: 5:00 am

Here's how today actually started out...

Alarm: 3:00 ~ Cassie unconsciously shuts off alarm
Wake-up: 5:00 am sharp
PANIC!
Throw on clothes and hope they match. Be thankful you showered the night before.
Toss random things you think you need into bag.
"run" as quietly as possible to the car. No time to sneak out quietly
Call the office on the road to let them know you're an HOUR late!

Arrive at the office and thank whoever stepped in and started your tasks for you. Be thankful you made scones so that everyone is nicer about you being late.

Stay an hour later than you would have had to if you had been on time. =/

Other than that... it was a really good day. I'm getting the hang of the office and all the details that go with it. I'm even getting more confident handling ringing phones and all the nurses that come with them.

I'll just quickly share my scones before heading to bed. The recipe will be posted in my recipe book and I'll add the link here sometime tomorrow.

Flour, baking powder and sugar sifted together. Cold butter cut in.
Mix together 1 egg and buttermilk and then add to the dry ingredients without overworking the dough. Roll your chosen fruit in flour to keep them from sinking and add to the dough. (no picture. sorry!)


I used a tablespoon to get a very rough measurement and relatively consistent size to each scone. Plopped them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. The recipe calls for 15-20 minutes at 400 F but I always start with less time and watch them closely after that. I started with 12 minutes and they were just about perfect.


I whipped up some heavy whipping cream to add on top (because I love whipped cream) but I also love clotted cream as a topping too.


I left some home for my parents and took the rest to work. They seemed to go over well and it worked out great for me to have breakfast done without having to settle for something in the cafeteria. Hospital food has a reputation for a reason... :)

Now I'm off to bed. Alarm(s) are set for 3 am again. NO sleeping through them again! 

Goodnight all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Hello below!